Wednesday, October 14, 2009

An evening in Kabul

On a rainy night, my husband and I decided to dine out. After trying almost all Indian restaurants in our locality, we decided to try Afghani cuisine. The novel Kite Runner had influenced me to such an extent that, I was desperate to try Afghani food. We went a place called Kabul which proudly displayed a few cut-outs from newspapers which had written abt the restaurant.

To our dismay, the restaurant offered less options for vegetarians!. We decided to order some spinach based curry with challow(that is what they call rice, chaval) and a vegetarian platter which was again served with challow and a glass of juice. With the main-course was served Afghani bread. The restaurant offered a great ambience with some light music. We waited for nearly 10-15 minutes for the waiter to take our order. Nobody seemed to notice our presence. I tried to brushed aside all those negative thoughts that were bothering me - are they deliberately avoiding us since we are Indians? - or do they care for only American customers and neglect people from sub-continent? etc. Instead of letting my mind further ponder over such negative thoughts, I decided to take a glance at the walls of the restaurant. The walls were pleasantly decorated with some famous pictures of Afghan sea-green eyed girl and another of a bearded man. To my surprise there were some Afghani costumes hung on the wall behind me. It looked like some cotton fabric with the zari, golden border, and old tabla. Finally, a French-bearded guy, politely took our order. We were offered salad, a sub-dish which is served as a complimentary dish to every customer. The salad was so delicious that, I wondered whether I could request for another plate :)

We found the Afghani food very different from Indian food. I somewhat disliked the food though I had initially insisted to go to an Afghani restaurant. I could clean half the plate of challow. Though I didn't like the curry much, I liked the challow which was different from our chaval... :). Afghani bread was quite good which was similar to Indian masala bun. My husband had no complaints!!! In fact, he requested for some boxes to pack the food. But the best was yet to come. The saunf which is a common item placed at the exit doors in the Indian restaurants was absent. In its place was a box of colored pieces of mint, which were similar to the polo mint. I grabbed a few pieces which were just irresistible :).

While coming back, my mind was overflowing with numerous thoughts - The Kite Runner, its characters, the restaurant, food, and the rain which had almost abated by the time we were done with the special dinner.

2 comments:

  1. Reading the first line made me think this is a prologue to some romantic novel ;)
    Btw this was very rude
    "i somewhat disliked the food..." :P
    i wish the owner doesnt read this :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yeah i thought i could make it sound sweet... but this is blog... i think i have the latitude to express my opinion... :)

    ReplyDelete