Friday, September 11, 2009

Salt or sugar??

I remember as a kid, studying a chapter in the English book on what is the sweeter - sugar or salt? However, sweet in that sense meant something that is more necessary in the food. Today, I had similar situation at home. I wanted to prepare some cake today. Well, it was a pineapple eggless cake. The cake looked good in the oven too. Then came the crucial tasting/testing time.
The cake was quite salty and bitter... inspite of adding proper amount of sugar!!!!! Unfortunately all odds were against me. Perhaps this was my first ever disaster in the kitchen. It has been nearly 6 months since I started cooking on my own and I had never faced such odd situation in kitchen.

While adding butter to prepare the cake batter, I didn't realize it was salted butter which was the sole reason for making the cakes salty. Furthermore, the pineapple too was inclement which made my cake bitter instead of making it better given it's flavor. Sugar practically played no role!!!

Anyway, at the end, I received my dosage of funny comments from my husband. My next post will hopefully be the success story of my cakes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment